Four Rescued From Icy Lake
(Courier Editor Bob Clock was aboard
the CGC Sundew covering reactivation of
the Lake Michigan lights when the cargo
The Sundew stopped at Gary's Reef first
and then proceeded to White Shoal, about
35 miles northeast of Charlevoix.
a 20-foot high ice reef.
Waves drove the bow of the boat up
onto the reef, but seconds later a huge
boat accident happened. Here is his
account of the incident.)
Because of the shallow waters, the White
Shoal light must be serviced by cargo boats
boat was swamped, throwing Prevoznik,
Hansberger and Crockett into the water.
*** from the supply ship, The lost cargo boat ***
Four young seamen aboard the Coast
Guard Cutter Sundew were thrown into
the icy waters of Lake Michigan March
18 when their 24-foot cargo boat was
swamped by waves and ice at the White
Shoal lighthouse.
All were rescued, thanks to the quick-
thinking of their shipmates, but the cargo
was lost for two days, It was recovered
was on its second trip to the light from the
Sundew when the wind began picking up.
 The craft unloaded its cargo at the light
and was about to return when it was dis-
covered that a line had become tangled in
the screw. The boat was secured by bow
and stern lines to the lighthouse crib
and the crew was awaiting the arrival of
a second cargo boat for assistance.
MINUTES before the accident, it was
apparent to officers aboard the Sundew
that the cargo boat was in trouble, and
a second craft, which was being readied
for a trip to the light, was hurriedly
put under way.
When Lt. Dave smith, acting Command-
ing officer, saw Watts leave the cargo
boat, he ordered all men to their rescue
Sunday by diver Don Meggison. *** stations and proceeded in a circle around
The men are Timothy Watts,20,(SNANI)
of Evans City, Pa., Joseph Prevoznik,22,
(DC2) of North Copaly, Pa., Lysle Hans-
berger, 18, (SA) of Wayne,Mich.,and Wylie
Crockett, 20, (SA) of Geneva, Ohio.
THE ACCIDENT occurred about 2 p.m.
Friday while the Sundew was transporting
men and supplies to lighthouses in
northern Lake Michigan.
SUDDENLY,a wave washed over the boat
and both bow and stern lines parted at al-
most the same time.
Watts grabbed a section of the stern
to the lighthouse and was helped aboard
by the keepers. The others in the half-sub-
merged vessel were set adrift in a 50-
foot passage between the lighthouse and

stations and proceeded in a circle around
the ice reef to the west side of the light-
house. The second cargo boat meanwhile
was approaching the passage from the east.
Because of the high reef, no one aboard
the Sundew could see what was happen-
ing in the passage until the boat neared
the light. Three men were in the water and
the bow of the cargo boat was still on the ice.

LATER, Hansberger said: "It sure was welcome sight to see the superstructure of the Sundew coming around on the opposite side of the berg, with all that black smoke coming out of the stack.
 I heard what I thought was a helicopter, and I turned around and there was a cargo boat coming into the passage from the other direction. I could hardly breath in the cold water, but it was nice to know help was coming."
 The Sundew churned up the bottom approaching close enough so that lifevests and ring buoys could be thrown to them in the water.
 Seaman John Lambing aboard the Sundew donned a wet suit en route to the incident site and jumped into the water to help the men aboard.
 They were all hoisted into the second small boat and the entire craft was lifted aboard the Sundew on the davits.
 THE MEN, none of whom completely lost consciousness, were rushed into hot showers and were put to bed wrapped in wool blankets. A single hot water bottle aboard the ship was passed from one man to another.
 They all suffered severe chills for several hours, despite artificial heat, hot coffee and sandwiches.
 THE SECOND cargo boat, piloted by John Shumacher, returned to the passage to attempt to secure a line to the swamped boat, but was unable to maneuver close enough because of the rising winds. Later, men on the light radioed the Sundew that the boat had sunk out of sight.
 The second craft made another trip back to the light to remove Watts to the Sundew.
 According to a Coast Guard is cold weather manual, survival time in icy water can be very short, many victims suffering heart attacks almost immediately from rapid cooling of the body. It is estimated the men in the lost cargo boat were in the water about six minutes.
 THE SUNDEW was put in contact with Dr.Robert Martin in Charlevoix via radio at the lifeboat station. Told what was being done for the men, Dr.Martin said there was no urgency in returning them to Charlevoix , and that it would be all right for the ship to continue to Lansing Shoal to leave men and supplies at the light house there.
 At Lansing Shoal, however, gale winds had sprung up, and, after receiving a forecast of continued foul weather, the Sundew returned to Charlevoix through mountainous seas.
 When the boat docked, Dr.Martin checked the men. He reported they were all in good condition and ready to return to duty.
 CREW ABOARD cargo boat pull victim of boating accident to safety. One man was helped aboard White Shoal light, two others were saved through efforts of Sundew crew. Fortunately, the sunken cargo boat had just left supplies at the light, so the loss was minimized. the boat was raised Sunday and can be repaired.

SUNDEW CREWMEN prepare to lower cargo net to aid in rescue
effort. Later, a sailor commented:"Everything went exactly like it was
supposed to in the drills."


Back to USCG index